Pokémon Go, the augmented reality (AR) game that took the world by storm, has continued to evolve since its release in 2016. One of the lesser-known features of the game is the ability to rename your caught Pokémon to trigger their evolution. While it may seem strange, certain Pokémon can undergo evolution when given specific nicknames. This article will provide an extensive list of these Pokémon and the exact names required to unlock their hidden potential.
The Pokémon Go developers, Niantic, have a history of incorporating Easter eggs and hidden features into the game. One such Easter egg involves renaming your Pokémon to evolve them. This feature pays homage to the Pokémon anime, where certain Pokémon evolve after significant events or bonding moments with their trainers. While it is not applicable to all Pokémon, there are some that can be evolved through this unique method. Here are just two examples of base Pokemon with multiple name-change evolutions.
Eevee, the Evolution Pokémon, has always been a fan favorite due to its multiple possible evolutions. By renaming your Eevee, you can determine which of its evolved forms it will take:
- Vaporeon: Rename Eevee to “Rainer” to ensure it evolves into the Water-type Pokémon Vaporeon.
- Jolteon: Rename Eevee to “Sparky” to evolve it into the Electric-type Pokémon Jolteon.
- Flareon: Rename Eevee to “Pyro” to evolve it into the Fire-type Pokémon Flareon.
- Espeon: Rename Eevee to “Sakura” to evolve it into the Psychic-type Pokémon Espeon.
- Umbreon: Rename Eevee to “Tamao” to evolve it into the Dark-type Pokémon Umbreon.
- Leafeon: Rename Eevee to “Linnea” to evolve it into the Grass-type Pokémon Leafeon.
- Glaceon: Rename Eevee to “Rea” to evolve it into the Ice-type Pokémon Glaceon.
- Sylveon: Rename Eevee to “Kira” to evolve it into the Fairy-type Pokémon Sylveon.
Please note that these renaming tricks only work once per evolution. After that, you will need to evolve Eevee using traditional methods, such as using specific evolution items or meeting specific requirements.
Tyrogue is a unique Fighting-type Pokémon that can evolve into one of three different forms. By renaming your Tyrogue, you can control which form it will take:
- Hitmonlee: Rename Tyrogue to “Bruce” to evolve it into the powerful kicker Hitmonlee.
- Hitmonchan: Rename Tyrogue to “Jackie” to evolve it into the skilled puncher Hitmonchan.
- Hitmontop: Rename Tyrogue to “Tyson” to evolve it into the spinning top fighter Hitmontop.
Like Eevee, this renaming trick only works once per evolution for Tyrogue. After that, Tyrogue will evolve based on its highest individual stat.
How to Rename Your Pokémon in Pokémon Go
To rename a Pokémon in Pokémon Go, follow these simple steps:
- Open the Pokémon Go app on your device and sign in to your account.
- Tap the Poké Ball icon at the bottom of the screen to open the main menu.
- Select “Pokémon” to open your Pokémon collection.
- Scroll through your list or use the search bar to find the Pokémon you want to rename.
- on the Pokémon to open its summary screen. 6. Tap the pencil icon next to the Pokémon’s current name to edit it.
- Type the new name, as listed above for the desired evolution, and tap “OK” to save the changes.
- Confirm that the new name is displayed on the summary screen.
- Ensure you have the necessary Candy to evolve the Pokémon.
- Tap the “Evolve” button to initiate the evolution process.
Once you’ve completed these steps, your Pokémon should evolve into its predetermined form based on the new name. Keep in mind that this trick can only be used once per evolution for each applicable Pokémon.